Ocean City beaches are a great place to be on a hot summer afternoon, a cool autumn morning or a balmy spring night. Whether you are a beachcomber, sunbather, surfer or sandcastle builder, you are sure to enjoy your time on these white sand beaches. To maximize your enjoyment, here is information you will want to know.
There are over 40 lifeguarded beaches in Ocean City – to see the list of beaches, check out the Ocean City Beach Patrol website. Lifeguards are present weekdays 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and weekends 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., unless otherwise noted (some beaches are guarded until 8:00 p.m.)
Surfing – Surfing is permitted on 7th street beach, the 16th street beach and Waverly beach.
Beach Tag Information
Beach tags are required for all individuals 12 years or older from June 3rd through September 4th, 2017, every day of the week. Seasonal beach tags can be purchased online. All beach tags can be purchased at the following locations:
- City Hall, 9th and Asbury
- Rt. 52 Welcome Center
- Henry Knight Building, 12th and Haven
- Aquatic & Fitness Center, 17th and Simpson
- Ocean City Music Pier
- 12th Street Boardwalk Booth
- 46th Street and West Avenue Municipal Building
- 34th Street Welcome Center
The 2017 Summer Season rates for beach tags are: $5 for daily, $10 for weekly $25 for seasonal tags. Beach tags are free for all veterans of the United States Armed Forces, as well as active duty military members and their immediately families.
Ocean City has city-operated lots on Fifth Street, Eighth Street, Ninth Street, 14th Street and Moorlyn Terrace, in addition to various privately owned lots. Almost any street between 8th – 14th has parking lots close to the boardwalk/beach area. Many Ocean City streets offer metered parking as well – meters are in effect from May 1 through Oct. 31. Information about cost and time is displayed on the meters, and some parking meters accept credit cards for payment.
Restrooms are located at 1st Street; 6th Street; Music Pier; 11th Street; 12th Street; 34th Street Playground; 58th Street Beach. All bathrooms are handicapped accessible. Family bathrooms are located at 1st and 12th streets.
Handicapped beach access is provided at 1st, 6th, 8th, 9th, 12th, 14th, 26th, 29th, 34th, 36th, 40th, 43rd, 46th, 50th, 51st, 52nd, 53rd, 55th, 57th, and 59th Streets.
The Surf Chair Program is based out of the Ocean City Sports & Civic Center located on 6th Street at the Boardwalk. The service is available on weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (check-in by 4:30 p.m.) and on weekends from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (check-in by 5:00 p.m.). Lifeguards that are on duty are not usually available to assist persons needing the Beach Surf Chairs. The surf chair program runs from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. Reservations are suggested. For more information about this program, call 609.525.9304.
Rules and Regs
- Swimming is only allowed at guarded beaches.
- Dogs are not permitted on the beach except between Oct. 1 and April 30 and must be on a leash.
- There are three guarded beaches where surfing is permitted in Ocean City: Waverly Boulevard, Seventh Street and 16th Street. Surfing is permitted at all beaches either before or after lifeguards are on duty.
- You do not need a license to fish in the salt water surrounding New Jersey. Surf fishing is permitted anytime on unguarded beaches, as well as in Corson’s Inlet State Park. Fishing is permitted on guarded beaches any time before or after lifeguards are on duty.
To learn more Ocean City, please follow the links below:
Find out why Ocean City is “America’s Greatest Family Resort”
History of Ocean City
Where to Stay in Ocean City
Where to Eat in Ocean City
Upcoming Events in Ocean City – Fall/Winter 2018
Free Weekly Summer Events in Ocean City