Ocean City NJ Beach Information
Ocean City beaches are a great place to be on a hot summer afternoon, a cool autumn morning or a balmy spring night. Whether you are a beachcomber, sunbather, surfer or sandcastle builder, you are sure to enjoy your time on these white sand beaches. To maximize your enjoyment, here is the Ocean City Beach Information you will want to know.
There are over 40 lifeguarded beaches in Ocean City – to see the list of beaches, check out the Ocean City Beach Patrol website. Lifeguards are present weekdays 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and weekends 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., unless otherwise noted (some beaches are guarded until 8:00 p.m.)
Surfing – Surfing is permitted on 7th street beach, the 16th street beach and Waverly beach.
Beach Tag Information
Beach tags are required for all individuals 12 years or older from June through September 6, 2021, every day of the week. Seasonal beach tags can be purchased online. All beach tags can be purchased at the following locations:
- City Hall, 9th and Asbury
- Rt. 52 Welcome Center
- Henry Knight Building, 12th and Haven
- Aquatic & Fitness Center, 17th and Simpson
- Ocean City Music Pier
- 12th Street Boardwalk Booth
- 46th Street and West Avenue Municipal Building
- 34th Street Welcome Center
- By mail or online.
The 2021 Summer Season rates for beach tags are: $5 for daily, $10 for weekly $25 for seasonal tags. Seasonal tags are available at a discounted rate of $20 until May 31. Beach tags are free for all veterans of the United States Armed Forces, as well as active duty military members and their immediately families, available with proper ID at City Hall, Welcome Center on the 9th St Causeway, Music Pier Info Center and 46th St Info Center
Ocean City has city-operated lots on Fifth Street, Eighth Street, Ninth Street, 14th Street and Moorlyn Terrace, in addition to various privately owned lots. Almost any street between 8th – 14th has parking lots close to the boardwalk/beach area. Many Ocean City streets offer metered parking as well – meters are in effect from May 1 through Oct. 31. Information about cost and time is displayed on the meters, and some parking meters accept credit cards for payment.
Restrooms are located at 1st Street; 6th Street; Music Pier; 11th Street; 12th Street; 34th Street Playground; 58th Street Beach. All bathrooms are handicapped accessible. Family bathrooms are located at 1st and 12th streets.
Handicapped beach access is provided at the following locations: Surf Road, Waverly Beach, St. James Place, 1st Street, Pennlyn Place and at the following streets: 3rd, 5th Street, 6th, 8th (Music Pier), 9th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 20th, 21st. 22nd, 24th, 25th, 27th, 28th, 30th – 47th Streets, St. David’s Place, Merion Place, and 48th – 59th Streets.
The Surf Chair Program is based out of the Ocean City Sports & Civic Center located on 6th Street at the Boardwalk. The service is available on weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (check-in by 4:30 p.m.) and on weekends from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (check-in by 5:00 p.m.). Lifeguards that are on duty are not usually available to assist persons needing the Beach Surf Chairs. The surf chair program runs from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. Reservations are suggested. For more information about this program, call 609.525.9304.
Rules and Regs
- Swimming is only allowed at guarded beaches.
- Dogs are not permitted on the beach except between Oct. 1 and April 30 and must be on a leash.
- There are three guarded beaches where surfing is permitted in Ocean City: Waverly Boulevard, Seventh Street and 16th Street. Additionally, surfing is permitted on beaches south of 36th Street where lifeguard stands are 3 blocks apart. Surfing is permitted at all beaches either before or after lifeguards are on duty.
- You do not need a license to fish in the salt water surrounding New Jersey. Surf fishing is permitted anytime on unguarded beaches, as well as in Corson’s Inlet State Park. Fishing is permitted on guarded beaches any time before or after lifeguards are on duty.
- The starting or maintenance of a fire on the beach, including any form of barbeque at any time during the entire year is strictly prohibited. This ban includes tiki torches, sparklers and every other form of flame or fire.
- Smoking is prohibited on all New Jersey beaches as per state law.
To learn more Ocean City, please follow the links below:
Find out why Ocean City is “America’s Greatest Family Resort”
History of Ocean City
Where to Stay in Ocean City
Where to Eat in Ocean City
Things to Do in Ocean City
2 thoughts on “Ocean City NJ Beach Information”
Sorry for such a late response! Yes, you can. There are at least two beach umbrella/chair rental services I’m aware of. The first is Bert’s Beach Rentals
( https://bertsbeachrentals.com/beach-locations/ ) and the other is Swift’s Beach Services ( https://www.swiftsocnj.com/ ). Check out their websites for locations and other information, and enjoy your trip! (One of the best times to go!)
I plan to visit in June. Can I rent an umbrella and beach chairs at the ocean city beaches? If so, where?